Under the stars.

When they asked me 
to address the whole world 
that stood before me 
with hopeful eyes, I was 
left alone to fight 
the surfacing tide 
of emotions towards 
my own journey 
of successes and failures, 
of friends and acquaintances, 
of long lost world and the 
new one emerging ahead of me. 
I could not gather my 
words and emotions 
into voice that I always heard. 
I stopped looking, 
I ignored the pleas, 
I resisted the temptations to flee.
.
I don't know 
why they asked me. 
Maybe because I was 
born in this world 
and was certain to 
fade away, at the first 
chance of ambush. 
Maybe it was rather 
due to the fact 
that several things go unnoticed 
when you are allowed 
to move 
but when you have all the 
patience you need 
to sit and observe, 
you tend to notice. 
Or maybe it was 
simply because I was born, 
just like the millions and 
billions of people who 
descend through the 
steps of womb and blood. 
.
So I was asked to address. 
Address them about life, 
that we all seem to occupy. 
Some for long and 
some for a small time. 
I resisted my urge 
to scream and rather simplify. 
There was no need 
to make me so glorified. 
I was also one of them, 
plucked out from the 
crowd at random, 
thrown on the stage 
of fake jubilance. 
Maybe it was not 
all my scars but also 
the presence of some astrological stars.
.
The sky was dark again, 
dark and cloudless. 
Full of bright stars 
which were at times 
dwindled by the city's luminescence and sky lanterns. 
One look at the crowd, then 
I glared at stars, 
glared cause they have 
also been part of this farce. 
Showing us light 
even when they were 
destroyed in that great expanse.
.
I do nothing, 
and the crowd disperse. 
Some cursing, 
some just waking up 
from trance. And then 
it was me 
alone on this world's stage, 
with those dead 
and dying stars.
.
- Raj Nandani

Comments

Popular Posts